The Tour de Crest is a high tower which lays in the city of Crest in the Drôme department. The tower was used as a dungeon and was part of a fortress. The fortress has been removed and only the tower remains. The Tower has several rooms which you can visit. It’s also also a great viewpoint.
The dungeon is the highest in France with it’s 52 meters height. It is very well preserved for its 900 years of history, it allows you to have a breathtaking view of the surroundings.
You can take a stroll in the middle of the medieval streets before climbing up the tower. If you park at the visitors parking and follow the signs “Tour de Crest” you’ll automatically follow the path. It’s also possible to go to the tower directly though, without making the detour.
Crest is a small town on a beautiful route that leads into the mountains of the Vercors. Along the route you’ll see cute little farms and in summer the sunflower fields are stunning.
- The tower is open every day from 10 am to 6 pm (in winter it only opens the afternoon from 2 pm to 6 pm).
- A ticket is 7,50 euros for adults, 6 euros for kids from 10 to 17 years old and 3 euros for small kids under the age of 10.
- Guided tours take place during summer. Also some extra activities are being organized, for example a theater piece of a prisoner trying to escape the dungeon. For more information about these activities, ask at the local tourists office. Address: Place Gén de Gaulle, 26400 Crest.
- Visit the website of Tour de Crest for more information
Near Tour de Crest
- Challenge yourself and take a hike to the top of the Trois Becs : Three beautiful mountain peaks that give an amazing view on the mountains of the Vercors.
- Visit the city of Valence: Follow the city tour, take a break in the park, do some shopping or go to a nice restaurant.
- Visit the old castle ruins of Chateau de Crussol.
Why not pin this for later